Call For Papers
The Affirmative Couch articles are written by mental health professionals with expertise in working with LGBTQIA+, consensually non-monogamous, and/or kink clients. We help fight stigma by disseminating current, accurate information about the unique mental health needs of these communities.
If you’re a subject matter expert on a related topic, please consider writing an article for us! It is a great way to bring more attention to your important work while earning extra income. We encourage you to complete the application to propose an article.
We are always looking for more articles about clinical work with LGBTQIA+, consensually non-monogamous, and/or kink clients – please check out our previous articles for examples of topics – but are currently specifically seeking pieces related to the following subject areas as they relate to sexuality and gender:
- Antiracism & Decolonizing Psychotherapy
- Disordered Eating, Eating Disorders, and Diet Culture
- Military Service Members and Veterans
- Mindfulness, Yoga, and Holistic Client Care
- Substance Use in LGBTQIA+ Communities
- BDSM/Kink-Affirmative Therapy
- Intersections of Spirituality/Religion and LGBTQIA+ Communities
- Addressing Microaggressions with LGBTQIA+ Clients
The Affirmative Couch, LLC will consider proposals for short (500-1000 words), medium (1000-1500 words), and long (1500-2500 words) articles. Article proposals must be written for mental health professionals, not community members. Proposals that do not follow the application format and/or are missing information will not be considered. Authors from the communities about which they are writing are strongly encouraged to apply. Authors will be classified as independent contractors.
- Authors need to submit a separate application with a 100- to 200-word polished abstract for each proposed article. Approximate article lengths will be agreed upon ahead of time.
- Proposals must be for original articles that have not been published elsewhere.
- Articles must include citations and references in APA 7 format.
- Authors will have at least an MA/MS in psychology, counseling, marriage and family therapy, or a related field and be license-eligible.
- Preferably, authors are currently practicing as psychologists, marriage and family therapists, school counselors, professional counselors, or clinical social workers working with LGBTQIA+, consensually non-monogamous, and/or kink clients in a mental health setting.
- Authors without formal education in clinical psychology/mental health, but with experience in writing about relevant topics, will be considered.
- Authors need to have good working knowledge of google docs.
- $70-$90 for short articles (1-2 single spaced pages)
- $100-$150 for medium articles (2-3 single spaced pages)
- $160-$180 for long articles (3-5 pages single spaced)
The Affirmative Couch, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Company and is committed to fostering diversity within its staff. Applications are encouraged from those with diverse backgrounds in regards to race, ethnicity, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity, gender expression, marital status (including consensual non-monogamy and kink), religious creed, medical/physical/mental condition, sexual orientation, veteran status, and/or age.