Call For Presentations
The Affirmative Couch provides online continuing education for psychotherapists to gain knowledge and skills in working affirmatively with sexuality-, gender-, and relationship-expansive communities. New CE courses are uploaded regularly and clinicians can purchase either individual courses or Annual or Lifetime Memberships for unlimited access.
If you are a subject matter expert on a topic related to psychotherapists working with LGBTQIA+, consensually non-monogamous, or kink clients, we encourage you to complete the application to propose a course.
We are always looking for more instructors about clinical work with LGBTQIA+, consensually non-monogamous, and/or kink clients. Please check out our current courses for examples of the types of courses we are looking for.
Examples of Topics:
- Working with clients with intersectional identities (sexuality-, gender-, and relationship-expansive identities intersecting with race, ability, class, immigration status, etc.)
- Clinical concerns (family planning, bullying, suicidality, aging, incarceration, HIV/AIDS, bisexual/pansexual/queer erasure, navigating relationships between asexual partner and sexual partner, prepping for surgery for transgender and gender nonbinary clients, dealing with medical providers for intersex clients, navigating jealousy with metamours, consent and safety with BDSM, etc.) with sexuality-, gender-, and relationship-expansive clients.
- Utilizing theory (psychoanalytic, CBT, systems, etc.) to conceptualize and treat complex sexuality-, gender-, and relationship-expansive cases (e.g. transgender male patient dealing with binge eating to hide his breasts but now being ineligible for surgery due to high BMI; insecure attachment in polyamorous client)
- Diagnostic considerations (anorexia, major depression, amphetamine use disorder, etc.) with sexuality-, gender-, and relationship-expansive cases (e.g. amphetamine use disorder in gay male populations; domestic violence with bisexual clients)
- Transference/countertransference dynamics with sexuality-, gender-, and relationship-expansive clients (e.g. dynamics between cisgender heterosexual white therapist and queer POC client; dynamics with conservative parents of children who identify as sexuality-, gender-, and relationship-expansive)
The Affirmative Couch, LLC will consider proposals for one- to seven-hour trainings, with a maximum of two instructors per course. Proposals that do not follow the application format and/or are missing information will not be considered. Instructors will be classified as independent contractors. Instructors from the communities about which they are presenting are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Instructors need to submit a separate application with a 100- to 200-word polished abstract for each proposed course. Approximate course lengths will be agreed upon ahead of time.
- Proposals must be for original coursework that have not been presented elsewhere.
- Presentation slides must include citations and references in APA 7 format.
- Once hired, instructors will need to create an abstract, learning objectives, PowerPoint slides, and post-test prior to filming.
- The Affirmative Couch, LLC requires all courses to follow APA continuing education guidelines, which can be found here.
- Instructors will have at least an MA/MS in psychology, counseling, marriage and family therapy, or a related field and be license-eligible.
- Preferably, instructors are currently practicing as psychologists, marriage and family therapists, school counselors, professional counselors, or clinical social workers working with LGBTQIA+, consensually non-monogamous, and/or kink clients in a mental health setting.
- Instructors without formal education in clinical psychology/mental health, but with experience in writing about relevant topics, will be considered.
- Instructors need to have good working knowledge of google docs and Microsoft PowerPoint.
- $300/hour + bonuses based on course completions