Call For Presentations
The Affirmative Couch provides online continuing education for psychotherapists to gain competency in working affirmatively with sexual, gender, and relationship expansive communities. New courses are uploaded regularly and clinicians can either purchase individual courses or a yearly or lifetime membership for unlimited access. If you are a subject matter expert on a topic related to psychotherapists working with LGBTQIA+, consensually nonmonogamous, or kinky/BDSM clients, we encourage you to complete the application to propose a presentation.
Examples of Topics:
- How COVID-19 is impacting LGBTQIA+, consensual non-monogamous, or kinky clients and how therapists can help
- Working with clients with intersectional identities (sexual, gender, and/or relationship expansive identity(ies) intersecting with race, ability, class, immigration status, etc.)
- Clinical concerns (family planning, bullying, suicidality, aging, incarceration, HIV/AIDS, bisexual/pansexual/queer erasure, navigating relationships between asexual partner and sexual partner, prepping for surgery for transgender and gender nonbinary clients, dealing with medical providers for intersex clients, navigating jealousy with metamours, consent and safety with BDSM, etc.) with sexual, gender, and/or relationship expansive clients/patients.
- Utilizing theory (psychoanalytic, CBT, systems, etc.) to conceptualize and treat complex sexual, gender, and/or relationship expansive cases (e.g. transgender male patient dealing with binge eating to hide his breasts but is now ineligible for surgery due to high BMI; insecure attachment in polyamorous client)
- Diagnostic considerations (anorexia, major depression, amphetamine use disorder, etc.) with sexual, gender, and relationship expansive cases (e.g. amphetamine use disorder in gay male populations; domestic violence with bisexual clients)
- Transference/Countertransference dynamics with sexual, gender, and relationship expansive clients/patients (e.g. dynamics between cisgender heterosexual white therapist and queer POC client/patient; dynamics with conservative parents of children who identify as sexual, gender, and/or relationship expansive)
- Presenters must have at least an MA/MS and be license-eligible. PhD/PsyD/MD and licensed applicants are preferred. Presenters without formal education in clinical psychology but with experience in teaching about relevant topics will be considered.
- The Affirmative Couch, LLC will consider proposals for one to seven-hour trainings with a maximum of two presenters per presentation.
- The proposal must be for intermediate or advanced audiences only. Assume that your audience has a working basic knowledge of affirmative psychotherapy. Proposals that solely focus on introductory material, such as the importance of pronouns, will not be considered.
- The proposals should only focus on one population (when appropriate) rather than trying to integrate the entirety of LGBTQIA+. In other words, a presentation about fertility in lesbian, bisexual, or queer women will be considered, but a presentation about fertility with LGBTQIA+ populations will not.
- Proposals must be for original works that have not been previously presented elsewhere.
- Presenters from the communities about which they are training are strongly encouraged to apply.
About the Position:
- Presenters need to submit a separate application with a 200-250-word abstract for each proposed presentation.
- Compensation ranges from $300-$800 per training hour (depending on licensure, education, expertise, and teaching experience). Most courses will be paid 1-2 hours over the number of training hours for filming promotional content.
- Bonuses will be offered for courses that sell over 200.
- Presenters will get a Lifetime membership if they present for three hours or more (can be multiple short presentations or one longer one).
- Presenters will be classified as independent contractors.
- Presenters can film the presentation(s) in their own office/home/workspace, when it is convenient to them.
- The Affirmative Couch, LLC will provide a PowerPoint template for presentations.
- The Affirmative Couch, LLC requires all presentations to follow APA continuing education guidelines, which can be found here.
- The Affirmative Couch, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Company and is committed to fostering diversity within its staff. Applications are encouraged from those with diverse backgrounds in regards to race, ethnicity, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity, gender expression, marital status (including consensual non-monogamy and kink), religious creed, medical/physical/mental condition, sexual orientation, veteran status, and/or age.