Presenter: addyson tucker, PsyD
Date: July 14, 2022 1:30p-3:30p Pacific
$60 for licensed
$50 for licensed in non-profit organization (Use coupon code at checkout: SRTLNP50)
$30 for pre-licensed (Use Coupon Code at checkout: SRTLPL30)
You can also get free access to this course and all other courses with our memberships.
Trans-negative messages can feel like an emotional roller coaster from one loop of trans people being non-existent to the other of them being 'not trans enough' unless they fill certain stereotypes and ideals. Participants will learn ways to support their two-spirit /transgender /nonbinary (2STGNB) clients to develop self-compassion & shame resilience through a lens of trans/gender liberation (Singh, 2016) and radical healing (French et al., 2019). This will include an overview of the colonized history of transness (Morgensen, 2012), as well as the potential benefit of self-compassion as a ‘buffer’ against minority stress and shame for 2STGNB people. Strengthening self-compassion has been demonstrated to increase a trans person’s capacity for emotional vulnerability, strengthen well-being overall, and significantly improve the relationship to their body (Braun et al., 2016; Breslow et al., 2015; MacBeth & Gumley, 2012; Zessin et al., 2015). This presentation expands on this presenter’s other courses and articles on this topic, and includes specific case examples and discussions about navigating struggles with connection and belonging.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Discuss the ways trans liberation and radical healing are incorporated into gender-affirming care.
- Identify 2 indicators of internalized trans-negativity and/or gender-related shame triggers as they may relate to feeling 'not ____ enough' or 'too much _____.'
- Demonstrate 1-2 interventions to hold space for the oppressive history impacting trans people while also supporting healing.
About the presenter:
addyson tucker, PsyD (they/them) is a licensed psychologist committed to fat/body, gender/trans, and Black/racial liberation. Their specialty and passion is supporting trans, gender nonbinary, and queer adults.
This course is meant for an intermediate to advanced audience.
Who should Attend
Psychologists, counselors, and marriage and family therapists and social workers.
Live, virtual two hour presentation with the opportunity for interaction with the presenter. This course will be available as a recorded homestudy approximately two weeks after the event.
You will receive a reminder email to register for your Zoom link after signing up for the course.
If you do not receive this email within 24 hours, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To get CE credit for the live event, you need to be present for the entire presentation.
- You will be asked to sign in and out in the chat box in order to track attendance during breaks.
- We will email you your certificate of attendance within 48 hours of the course.
- This presentation will be recorded and available as a homestudy approximately two weeks after the live event.
- Your active participation will contribute and enhance the learning of participants that complete the recorded homestudy version.
You will need to take the post-test with at least a 80% score in order to receive your certificate for a homestudy course.
The Affirmative Couch pays course presenters for their teaching. There is no other financial support for this course.
Conflict of Interest
There is no potential conflict of interest or outside commercial support for this course.
For any inquiries related to subject matter, problem resolution, corrections, grievances, or anything else, please contact us.
The Affirmative Couch will work to accommodate reasonable accommodations requests. Requests can be emailed to
Continuing Education Approvals
The Affirmative Couch, LLC is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Affirmative Couch, LLC maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
|Module 1||Module 1|
|Unit 1||Live Zoom Event|