Presenter: Cadyn Cathers, PsyD
Date/Time: December 2, 2022 10am – 12pm Pacific
$29 for licensed
$24 for licensed in non-profit organization (Use coupon code at checkout: LGBTQIA5)
$15 for pre-licensed (Use Coupon Code at checkout: LGBTQIA14)
You can also get free access to this course and all other courses with our memberships.
While many clinicians consider themselves LGBTQIA+-friendly, well-intentioned clinicians can create inadvertent harm without proper training in LGBTQIA+ affirmative psychotherapy. We will cover key differences between LGBTQIA+-friendly and LGBTQIA+-affirmative psychotherapy and provide suggestions on how psychotherapists can move from being open and welcoming to having the education to provide a healing space for LGBTQIA+ clients.
This workshop will provide foundational knowledge for affirmative clinical work with LGBTQIA+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and asexual) clients. After introducing participants to language and definitions related to these communities, participants will learn essential guidelines for working affirmatively with diverse clients. We will also explore common clinical considerations in working with LGBTQIA+ clients.
- Discuss at least 3 differences between LGBTQIA+ friendly and LGBTQIA+ affirmative psychotherapy
- Define at least 5 common LGBTQIA+ terms while recognizing how language is self-constructed by the client
- Assess for the impact of minority stressors on common clinical considerations with LGBTQIA+ clients
About the Presenter
Cadyn Cathers, PsyD (he/him/his) has been teaching courses on human sexuality, psychotherapy with LGBTQIA+ communities, and psychodynamic theory for over 10 years. He is the founder and CEO of The Affirmative Couch, which provides online continuing education on clinical work with LGBTQIA+, CNM, and kink communities. He is a licensed psychologist in private practice, where he focuses on psychoanalytic psychotherapy with transgender and nonbinary patients.
This course is meant for an intermediate audience.
Who should Attend
Psychologists, counselors, and marriage and family therapists and social workers.
Live, virtual presentation with the opportunity for interaction with the presenter. This course will be available as a recorded homestudy approximately two weeks after the event.
You will receive a reminder email to register for your Zoom link after signing up for the course.
If you do not receive this email within 24 hours, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- To get CE credit for the live event, you need to be present for the entire course.
- You will be asked to sign in and out in the chat box in order to track attendance during breaks.
- We will email you your certificate of attendance within 48 hours of the course.
- This presentation will be recorded and available as a homestudy approximately two weeks after the live event.
- Your active participation will contribute and enhance the learning of participants that complete the recorded homestudy version.
- You will need to take the post-test with at least a 80% score in order to receive your certificate for a homestudy course.
The Affirmative Couch pays course presenters for their teaching. There is no other financial support for this course.
Conflict of Interest
There is no potential conflict of interest or outside commercial support for this course.
For any inquiries related to subject matter, problem resolution, corrections, grievances, or anything else, please contact us.
The Affirmative Couch will work to accommodate reasonable accommodations requests. Requests can be emailed with the event date and “accommodation request” in the subject line. Requests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Continuing Education Approvals
The Affirmative Couch, LLC is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Affirmative Couch, LLC maintains responsibility for this program and its content.